Thursday, January 17, 2013

UNIVERSIDAD SAN FRANCISCO DE QUITO

With everything that had already happened here the first few days, I almost forgot that I was actually here to study. The morning after I moved in with my family or BCA group was to meet at Rio Coca(the bus station) at 8am so that they could show us how to take the bus to the university. Some from our group are able to just walk 5 or 10 minutes to the bus station while many of us need to take a bus to get there.

That morning, Papa Galo went with me to catch the first bus. The stop is only about a three minute walk from where I live so it is pretty nice actually. We didn't have to wait to long for the bus to come, but when it did, there were already so many people on it. The buses here only cost 25 cents a ride and I'm glad because I'm not the biggest fan of taking them as it is. Going from little 'ole Mineral Point to this huge city is so different. Not only was the bus packed but the rules of the road here are pretty much non-existent. U-turns, cutting off other cars and not using turn signals is accepted here which makes the bus ride even more interesting. I'm just happy that the breaks always seem to work well... sometimes too well. Papa Galo noticed my bag hanging off of my shoulder as we were standing there in the middle isle hanging on for dear life. He didn't hesitate to reach down and push my bag in front of me where I could hold it. Too often, pick-pocketers take advantage of easy targets like that on crowded buses; lesson learned.

After approximately a 10 minute bus ride, we arrived at Rio Coca and walked up to where our BCA group was standing. We were all excited to see each other and were curious to hear about what each other's families and houses were like. I also found out that I live really close to two of the girls and one of the guys from my program which is nice to know for sharing future taxi rides.

 
The bus ride from Rio Coca to USFQ lasted about 20 minutes. When considering catching the bus and waiting for the next one, it usually turns out to be 45 minutes to get from my house to the school.Okay, now the campus...it's like a resort. I never feel like I am at school when I am there. A few students (that we met in the park) took small groups around to give us the grand tour before classes started. There is a pond and beautiful trees everywhere, the buildings are beautiful and everything is so clean.

 
 
 
 
 

Our first day of class was on January 9th if I remember correctly. I was pretty nervous about taking the buses by myself and getting lost. Luckily, another girl, Stephanie, from the BCA program was getting on the bus at Rio Coca too so I was able to go with her! I was pretty excited about it. Aaannddd, since my class didn't start until 10, I was able to leave later and the bus wasn't packed like it is in the mornings.
 
 
School is going great so far here. My professors are really nice (one is from New York and has no Spanish accent at all), my schedule is awesome* and I am meeting a lot of new people; both international students and Ecuadorian students. At first I was really confused when trying to get around from building to building but I think I have the hang of it now. It was really like being a freshman again but I am glad that I'm here...maybe I'll just stay (Don't worry Mom and Dad, I'm half kidding).


*My schedule is perfect. I only have one class from 2:30 to 4 on Monday/Wednesday which gives me Friday off. Tuesday and Thursday are my long days, 10 - 2:30 and then 4-5:30, but it is worth it to basically have a 4 day weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment