Sunday, January 20, 2013

MI CUMPLEAÑOS

 
Well guys, I'm 21! It was not the type of celebration that many of you are probably thinking, it was better! A week before my birthday, Mama Paty told me that I could have a few friends over if I wanted to and that she would bake me a chocolate cake with chocolate icing!

I woke up on my birthday to Papa Galo bringing me a beautiful arrangement of flowers with a card that says:

Feliz Cumpleaños                                                     Happy Birthday
Querido Kara:                                                           Dear Kara:
Que Dios te bendiga hoy y siempre.                        May God bless you today and always.
Feliz cumpleaños: Galo, Paty, Pablo, Mae, Tata   Happy birthday: Galo, Paty, Pablo, Mae, Tata


I am fortunate enough not to have class on Friday so I was able to sleep in/ do my own thing. After giving me the flowers, Papa Galo left for work and I was left by myself. I went out to get breakfast and found that delicious chocolate cake already out on a plate for me (best breakfast ever). Leo joined me on my bed as I did some homework/read all of my facebook birthday messages-thanks everyone!

Of course I was wanting to talk to my family so Mom said about skyping once Dad got home from work. I was so excited to see everyone there since Morgan is always working and Becca having basketball practice/games. Not only did they sing "happy birthday", but there were balloons AND a cake there...I even got to blow out the candle, kind of.

 

I told them about how I was having a little party starting at 5, and that I was going to go meet my friends at Rio Coca so that I could help them get to the house. Having to meet them at the bus station didn't give me much time to skype but it was so nice to see all of my family on my birthday...I hope they enjoyed my cake! ;)
 
We eventually all made it to Rio Coca (sorry for making you wait, Elizabeth). From there, we loaded the crowded bus to travel back to my house where my one friend, Mili, would meet us. Mili is from here and I know her because she studied at Juniata all last year so I was really happy that she was coming to my party. :) Unfortunately, Mili had to wait for us because we got lost... Okay, I know I'm not good with getting around/directions but I was trying to pay attention. In my defense, there were a lot of people in front of the windows and it was hard to see where we were. Once I stopped recognizing things I figured it was time to get off of the bus.
 
I called Mama Paty because she can speak English pretty well and I was trying to describe where we were by the shops/restaurants that were around because we couldn't find any street signs. Her answer to me was, "I don't know where you are". Great. Luckily, Papa Galo recognized one thing or another and told us to wait where we were and he would come pick us up.
 

We made it to the house were we found poor Mili who had been waiting for nearly an hour...Mili, I am so sorry. My little fiesta started out with chit-chatting and eating mini empanadas and mini hot dogs. It was nice for my host parents to get to meet some of my friends...oh yeah, let me introduce you:

Starting on the left there is Mili, (me), Hilary, Nicole & Elizabeth
 
THEN came time for the delicious chocolate cake. I was sang to in both the English and Spanish version before making my wish and blowing out my candles. This is when Mama Paty informed me that it is a tradition that the birthday boy/girl is to take the first bite out of the cake while everyone else chants "que muerde el pastel" or simply, bite the cake. As  I was getting closer to the cake with my mouth wide open, I felt Mili's hand pushing down on my head. I wasn't quite close enough to end up with a face full of chocolate but her and Mama Paty thought it was the funniest thing in the world. Apparently everyone still does this even though they know what is coming. Papa Galo did end up getting me the second time around but hey, its tradition. 
 

 
 

Pablo and Mae (my host siblings) ended up making it to the party too with their karate friend Diego. It was so much fun just hanging out and laughing with my friends and new family. Thank you everyone for making my 21st a great and unique one.









 

 
 


3 comments:

  1. You look so happy in all of your pictures and your blog posts are just sooo darn adorable, just like you :) Miss you a bunch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you had a super wonderful birthday! I miss you so much, but I can tell you are having a blast. Te amo chia!

    xoxo,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're birthday WAS awesome, and better than an American one. Boooo! We're dumb. But we all miss you! You're 21, yayyyy!!!
    I love your host family already. Why is everyone down there so beautiful..?? Whatever.
    It's freezing up here and we are all stuck inside with extra pale skin. Fun!
    I love that you got lost and Mama Paty was like "Ummm, Kara? I don't know what to tell you. Good luck, girl.." Hahaha. But I totally understand that people were all in the way and you couldn't see. Good job deciding to just get off the bus, haha.
    I MISS YOU! Keep up the blogging; I love it!

    ReplyDelete